History

The Boys & Girls Club of East Scarborough evolved from an organization established in 1956 as the “Scarborough Police Youth Club”. The agency An exterior photo of ESBGCbecame a Boys Club in 1961 and a Boys & Girls Club in 1978. From 1956 to 1982, the agency functioned as a community outreach program, using permit space in schools in 1956; the Club was accepted as a United Way Member Agency.

A ten-year capital fundraising campaign, together with assistance from the City of Scarborough, enabled the establishment of a 13,000 sq ft. permanent facility at 100 Galloway Road. In 2011, to keep up with the demand for more space to accommodate the number of participants, the Club was happy to create an addition of almost 9,000 sq ft, including a recording studio, partial second floor and a new gym to help accommodate the over 7,000 participants per year that the Club serves.

Until 1988 the Club served a primarily recreational function. Since that time the agency has pursued a determined approach towards providing accessible quality early childhood development and educational programming through subsidized childcare, family resource centres, special needs consultation, innovative drop-in programs, and life skill and crisis intervention for children and youth.

The Boys & Girls Club of East Scarborough seeks to provide neighbourhood solutionsGym event to identified community and social needs through its flagship social, recreational facility and its local neighbourhood satellite locations. The Club provides a holistic approach to its prevention mandate. The Club addresses all facets of child, youth and family development through a continuum of service. In particular, the Club’s programming promotes healthy lifestyles, personal competency, self-esteem, social and cultural integration and a sense of belonging.

Boys & Girls Clubs are located across Canada and around the world. As a Boys & Girls Club we are members of the Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Toronto, Ontario and Canada. However, we are autonomous and are incorporated with our own local Board of Directors who is legally accountable for our organization.